How to write settlement papers and finalize divorce on my own?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to write settlement papers and finalize divorce on my own?

We agreed to a settlement that spouses lawyer was supposed to draw up in June, instead spouse fired his attorney and said I need to figure out how to get this done. I have had to let go of my own attorney because I cannot afford to pay him since he now wants an additional 1500+ to finalize the divorce and I am unemployed. How do I write our own settlement and get this divorce finalized?

Asked on August 22, 2011 Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

At the law library, ask the law librarian to help you find sample divorce settlement agreements.  This will give you the general format.  Your settlement agreement may include other items than what is in the sample agreement due to the particular facts of your case.  Also, ask the law librarian to help you find the procedures on how to finalize your divorce.  You will need to follow those procedures when filing your documents with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption