How to use deceased fathers bank account to pay auto loan

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to use deceased fathers bank account to pay auto loan

I want to deposit money into my deceased
fathers account and pay his truck and auto loan company haven’t
been notified of death.

Asked on May 19, 2019 under Estate Planning, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't legally do this: once somone dies, their account is frozen and no one else can use it (unless it was a joint account, in which case the surviving joint account holder can still use it). And if you are not on the account already, there is no way for you to write checks from it.
You could send a check from your own account, writing his truck loan account number on the check--the financing  company shouldn't care where the money comes from as long as the loan is being paid. But bear in mind that the loan also comes due in full when the borrower passes away, so to not inform them and keep paying the loan as if he were alive is illegal--you may get away with it, but it is illegal. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption