How to terminate guardianship if i live in another state

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to terminate guardianship if i live in another state

Me and my girlfriend live in texas and we have a daughter together who has
currently been under guardianship of my girlfriends dad for the last two years
who lives in boone county arkansas . I was wondering what all forms we need to
terminate the guadisanship and where do we need to send the forms. Due to
financial situations we are not able to hire an attorney. So any help would be
much appreciated. thank you god bless

Asked on December 4, 2017 under Estate Planning, Texas


G.J., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the court granted your girlfriend's father guardianship of your child, you must file a petition for termination with the court that granted guardianship. You can contact the Clerk of the Court where the order was granted. They will have paperwork for you to fill out or can help you understand the process. In order for the court to grant the petition for termination, you must provide evidence that there has been a change in circumstance and there will be a positive outcome if the order is granted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption