How to terminate an employee’s services

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to terminate an employee’s services

Im a new business owner in Illinois. Our first
employee hire recently walked out of their job
and hasnt returned for 5 days. They have been
employed by us for about 1 month. Their cell
phone is disconected but can still receive
texts. We would like to terminate their
services but are having trouble contacting
them. There also are building keys that need to
be returned. How do I go about dismissing them?
By text seems inappropriate but not sure
legally how to go about this since I cant even
have a phone conversation at this point. I feel
as though they quit but I want this to be done
officially and legally. I can probably wait on
issuing their last pay check until keys are
returned. Thank you for any guidance you can

Asked on June 1, 2018 under Business Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Inappropriate is not the same thing as illegal: while it is certainly more professional and courtesous to terminate someone in person, termination by phone, text, email, letter, etc. is perfectly legal. If you have their cell number and address, call, text, and also send a registered letter so you can prove delivery of the termination notice. 
Final paycheck: have it available for them; in the text ask them to come in for it; if they don't reply or don't come in, mail it to them after another day or two (again, send it some way you can prove delivery).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption