In what state’s small claims court do I suea cell phone provider?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In what state’s small claims court do I suea cell phone provider?

Can I send the summons to a the company’s office in my area (NY), or do I need to send the summons to the company’s headquarters in NJ, and then sue them in small claims court in NJ? If the latter, isn’t there a law that I can sue them in the area where they do business (i.e. NY)? They charged me for services that I did not use and they refuse to issue me a credit.

Asked on December 6, 2010 under General Practice, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

A lawsuit can be filed where the plaintiff resides or where the defendant resides or where the claim arose.

Since you live in NY, you can file your lawsuit in NY in Small Claims Court.  Service of process can occur at the NY office of the company.  You are correct that the company can be served with the lawsuit (Summons and Complaint) at the NY office because they are doing business in NY.  Doing business in NY establishes sufficient minimum contacts with NY so that the company can be sued there.

In addition to the amount you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit, you should also include court costs.  Court costs include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption