How to sue my mechanic I work that I have paid for has not been done?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to sue my mechanic I work that I have paid for has not been done?

My car was supposed to be fixed but 6 months later still not.  Additionally, I have paid the mechanic $1200 ($600 for labor; $600 for the part), but no refund.

Asked on December 2, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like you have a breach of contract issue with your mechanic: you entered in to a contract to fix your car for whatever was wrong with it (I am sure based upon his mechanical expertise and evaluation) and you gave him money for the repair but he did not repair it (hence the breach).  But let me make sure that I understand: did he attempt to repair it but just never got it right or did it again break after he did repair it (the latter being a warranty issue)?  Whichever you still will sue him probably in small claims court. Make sure that you have all your proof ready.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption