How to sue a neighbor who owns a junkyard adjacent to my backyard?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to sue a neighbor who owns a junkyard adjacent to my backyard?

The junkyards fence is deteriorating, distorting the view of my property. Landscaping starting to grow on my property. Starting to see rats and trash in my yard.

Asked on June 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Four different options present themselves:

1) Is the neighbor's land zoned for this use? If not, it may be possible to force him to discontinue it.

2) Even if zoned for this use, if he is violating any health or building, etc. codes, you may be able to get the town to enforce them; e.g. codes for waste disposal.

3) Anything trespassing on your land (like his landscaping or excess junk), you may remove or cut down and seek either compensation from him for the cost thereof, an order from a court forcing him to prevent it from happening again.

4) If he is creating a "nuisance" under the law by the noise, view, vermin, smell, etc., it may be possible to force him to make changes (again, you'd have to sue).

It would be worth your while to discuss the situation in depth with a real estate attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption