How to stop harrassing letters from a timeshare company?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to stop harrassing letters from a timeshare company?

I stopped payment on a timeshare 3 years ago. I went through bankruptcy which concluded a year later. I still get harassing letters from them. How can I make this stop?

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you filed for bankruptcy protection several years ago, named this particular creditor on your bankruptcy schedule as a crediotr and you received a discharge of your debts, you need to do the following concerning the harassing letters from this particular time share company:

1. write it a letter stating that your obligation to it was discharged in a bankruptcy and attach the discharge order to the letter.

2. request that the harassing letters cease. Keep a copy of the letter you wrte for future reference.

3. if the harassing letters continue, contact your former bankruptcy attorney (assuming you had one) and request that he or she write a letter to the time share company on your behalf.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption