How to serve divorce papers

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to serve divorce papers

I know the town my ex is in
but he does not have a
physical address, he lives
in his truck, is the
sufficient to serve divorce

Asked on February 19, 2018 under Family Law, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your ex can be served if a process server can find where the truck is parked in which your ex lives.  If your ex is employed, he can be served at work or any other location.
If that isn't possible, your ex can be served by publication.  Service by publication is running a notice of your petition for dissolution of marriage in the legal notices section of a newspaper for the specific amount of time required by the court in which you are filing for divorce.  Ask the court clerk how long the notice must run in the newspaper for it to constitute effective service by publication.  Service by publication is effective even if your ex never sees the notice in the newspaper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption