How to serve a small claims writ to a defendant business in another state?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to serve a small claims writ to a defendant business in another state?

I am a small business owner based in Connecticut and need to sue a Massachusetts
company an LLC in a Connecticut small claims court. According to JD-CV-122,
‘How to Serve,’ the writ must be served by ‘a proper officer.’ CT state marshals
will not serve an out-of-state business. How do I get the writ served to a
Massachusetts company?

Asked on October 17, 2019 under Business Law, Connecticut


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can have a process server serve the defendant.  Use a process server in MA in or near the city where the defendant is located to reduce the cost. You can find process servers online under attorney services.
Another alternative is if the defendant is doing business in CT, it has an agent for service of process in CT.  You can obtain the information regarding the agent for service of process in CT from the CT Secretary of State's office. You can serve the agent for service of process in CT.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption