How to secure my grandmother’s property?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to secure my grandmother’s property?

My grandmother left a Will in which she left 1 property to 8 of her children. The Will hasn’t gone through the probate process yet I would like to encourage my dad and his siblings to create a perpetual entity that shields it members from personal liability. It would make it easy to transfer to heirs by allowing us to avoid the probate process. Should I create an LLC?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to create a trust because an LLC really is creating a business and you will be paying dearly for transfer taxes. The best thing to do at this point is to meet with a tax attorney in your state who handles estate planning. Most lawyers who practice one do practice the other our of necessity At the point you feel you have everyone on board, talk to the lawyer about a perpetual trust (especially if this is a substantial estate or property) and especially if there is a question as to the number of grandchildren who stand to inherit the property. If the property is going to be used as a commercial enterprise, like for rent or for businesses, then you may wish to create a private trust account that places property in an irrevocable trust.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption