How to respond to a subpoena?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to respond to a subpoena?

I work for a doctor who is going through a divorce. I received a subpoena to testify at the case. The judge had an emergency and now the case has been re-scheduled for a new date. The date is one day before I fly to NY for my sisters 1st baby shower. The tickets are non-refundable. The subpoena is from the wife’s attorney. I am not afraid to testify, I am just scared the court date will be changed again. They said that it all depends on if another case settles. I did notice they used white out on the other 2 boxes on the subpoena. What are my options?

Asked on November 10, 2010 under Family Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact the attorney for the wife who subpoenaed you in the matter and advise him of the dates that you will be unavailable to testify.  Tell him that you have these non-refundable tickets and that this vacation has been planned for some time.  Let him know point blank that you have no problem testifying but you will not be there from x date to x date and to make sure that he schedules his case accordingly. The other options is to make a motion to quash the subpoena.  Costly and may not be granted. 10 to 1 you would not be called on the first day anyway.  Have fun at the shower.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption