How to proceed with a fraudulent charge made with my credit card?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to proceed with a fraudulent charge made with my credit card?

My credit card was stolen by my roommate (separated wife while going through divorce trails) and was used to make 4 purchases totaling over $1700. The account is not a joint account nor is she an authorized user. She admitted to using the card while I was not present (at work) and refuses to pay me back or return the products purchased. This occurred 2 years ago and I have since been working on it with local police (report was filed), the bank, and store (where the purchases are made.) But all 3 keep pointing fingers to whom will help me handle this case. What is my course of action?

Asked on August 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your "roommate" improperly used your credit card and will not pau you back then given the $1,700 amount owed you it seems that your recourse would be small claims court. I would write her a note (keeping a copy for future use and need) demanding repayment by a certain date. If not done so, then legal recourse seems to be in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption