How to proceed with a bench warrant

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to proceed with a bench warrant

Hello. I have a bench warrant in Florida
and was wondering how to go about
finding a defense attorney and around
how much it would generally cost to hire
them and what they can do to help my
case and possibly avoid jail time

Asked on November 11, 2018 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is good that you want to deal with this rock hanging around your neck.  Better to face it sooner rather than later.  The amount an attorney charges is really hard to determine.  You should call your local bar association and ask for a referral or two for an attorney that can help with your type of case.  The attorney can call ahead to advise the DA that you are surrendering and possibly work out how that happens.  But there is no guarantee that jail time is not in your future and it all depends on the reason the warrant was issued and the underlying offense.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption