How to press charges for assault?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to press charges for assault?

A friend of mine is 17 and was attacked by an 18 yr old. He was beaten badly enough to go to the hospital because he chose not to defend himself. He tried to go to the local police, but the parents of the attacker are wealthy and bribed the local authorities to look the other way. How can he press charges?

Asked on April 8, 2018 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If your friend feels that the local authorities were bribed to look the other way, your friend and his family should contact the state Attorney General's office and share that concern and the story with them. The AG can, if they feel the story is credible, look into the situation and take action; the state AG can act when local authorities do not or are actively acting improperly.
Your friend and his family could also sue the attacker for his injuries and any medical costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption