how to i prove my innocence from being falsely accused of theft

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how to i prove my innocence from being falsely accused of theft

I was in a store today. They claim that they have me on camera stealing from the store. I didn’t steal anything. The items that they claim I took, I had put back down before I ever walked out of the store. I left the store, went to another store, left there and walked to my car and went home. I was later contacted by the police by my cellphone number because they had my car on camera and I had my school’s parking pass on the back of my car. I work in retail and I would never steal anything ever.

Asked on January 7, 2018 under Criminal Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Subpoena, or formally request, the alleged surveillance tapes: if they exist, they will be the only evidence other than simple testimony--i.e. your word vs. theirs. Either they will help you or, if they don't, you need to see them ahead of time so you can decide how to address them and what to do. Contact the court and ask for the process to do this...or better yet, hire a lawyer to represent you; the attorney will know court rules and processes.
If the tapes tend to support you stealing, even if you claim you later, off camera, put the items down, you will likely be convicted; courts tend to find videographic and photographic evidence compelling. You may wish in that case to strongly consider trying to settle the matter by negotiating a favorable plea bargain. Again, an attorney would be very helpful in this regard.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption