How to I go about claiming my mothers things?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to I go about claiming my mothers things?

My mother has recently been put into jail, and I am trying to claim my mothers belongings. The problem is that my mother was living under another person’s roof. I talked to the land lord and they told me that they were going to treat like my mother was renting their second house. Thing is there was no written lease and no money involved. They just don’t want to be sued by my mother but I need to get her things out of there before something happens to them.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your mother is incarcerated and you need to get her belongings from the place where she was living, you need to have a power of attorney drawn up and signed by your mother before a notary public designating upon you numerous powers to act on her behalf including retrieving her belongings from where they are located.

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney to draft up such a document. Once done, take a copy and the original to the landlord and give him or her the copy. The landlord should then allow you to retrieve your mother's belongings.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption