How to handle the property remaining after a lodger has been evicted?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to handle the property remaining after a lodger has been evicted?

I rented out a room in my house and my tenant was late in paying rent. So I gave them an eviction notice but they have not removed out their belongings by the date given in the notice. What can I do about her things? I contacted her multiple times about when she would get her stuff but to date she has still not come to get them.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I think that we need to clarify something.  Serving some one with a Notice of eviction is very different than legally evicting them.  Did you go through the courts to properly evict them and get an Order of Eviction and a right to renenter the room?  If you did not then I would not touch their things.  I would seek help properly evicting them and then having the marshall or sheriff remove their things.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption