How to go about purchasing my grandmother’s house with cash?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to go about purchasing my grandmother’s house with cash?

My grandmother is selling their house and I want to buy. How do I get this done? We agreed to a price but now I understand there could be other fees and taxes that I would need to pay. What’s the best way to go about this?

Asked on August 20, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The best way to do this is with legal help.  Fees could be recording charges for the deed as well as an adjustment of water bills and property taxes depending on when they are billed.  Once you own the property you will be responsible for the taxes as well.  I would get some help here especially with the preparation of the deed.  You want one with warranties in it that she can transfer all her rights and you should have a title check done and a search to make sure that there are no liens.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption