Howdo you get copies ofget utilities/house billsthat are in anotherspouse’s name?

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Howdo you get copies ofget utilities/house billsthat are in anotherspouse’s name?

My sister and her husband are separated. Per court order he has to bring house bills to 0 balance and have them put in her name. He will pay her half monthly. He hasn’t done this and the utilities won’t give her any info other than some are past due. She doesn’t want her credit ruined. How can she get these in her name as the court order stipulates without his cooperation or involving her lawyer which is expensive already?

Asked on July 22, 2010 under Family Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

She is in a difficult position but if the bills are in his name already then she does not have to worry about her credit, just having the utilities turned off for being past due.  What she might consider trying to do is opening a new account for the house herself and closing the old accounts.  If it is not possible then she will have to wait until he gets around to doing so.  But rest assured that if he does not comply then he will be held in contempt of the Court order and the Judge will not look to highly on that.  He could be fined and/or sent to jail.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption