How to get the insurance company to reimburse me money for double payments on a life insurance policy.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get the insurance company to reimburse me money for double payments on a life insurance policy.

I have paid double premiums on a life insurance polcy. The money has been paid by money orders and by a bank draft coming from my personal bank account. I made copies of all money orders and copies of the bank statements from the bank and sent a letter to the insurance company asking for reimbursement of overpayment, I have called weekly and still the company gives me a different answer each time, but will not give an answer as to where the money is. THE money orders were sent to a field office, the field representative acknowledges receiving the money orders but not the bank drafts, the main office acknowledges receiving the bank drafts but not the money orders.

Asked on November 28, 2018 under Insurance Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue for the return of of the money: the law is clear that they cannot keep more money than you agreed to pay and so they are entitled to. You would sue the insurance company, the field office if it is an independent office, and the field office representative who accepted or received the payments personally (in case he or she is diverting or pocketing some of the money). Bear in mind that you can only sue for double or overpayments going back up to three years, because this would be a legal action based on contract (the insurance policy is a contract), and in your state (MD), the "statute of limitations," or time period within which you must file or initiate a legal action, based on contract is only three years. Therefore, you cannot sue for any overpayments, double payments, etc. which occured more than three years ago.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption