How to get the charges dropped/reduced?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get the charges dropped/reduced?

My brother just got arrested and charged with reckless driving, wheel and peel, and evading an officer. His girlfriend was in the car with him, he was speeding and trying to out run the cop. How do we get his charges dropped/reduced? He’s 18 and a good kid who doesn’t deserve this on his record.

Asked on May 13, 2019 under General Practice, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The only way to guaranty they will be dropped would be to find some significant problem with the stop or with other evidence, so that the case cannot go foward--e.g. there would be no legally admissable evidence. That is unlikely to be the case here; it is more likely in drug possession cases, where invalidating a search can result in the evidence being thrown out.
Otherwise, your brother, or better yet, his lawyer--if you want to help him, help him hire an experienced traffic offense attorney from your area, who knows the court, the judge, the prosecutor, etc.--can try to negotiate a more favorable plea (e.g. to fewer or lesser offenses). There is a very good chance that at least some of the charges will be reduced or dropped, especially if your brother gets counsel helping him. But make no mistake--"good kid" or not, he did very reckless, dangerous, and highly illegal things (e.g. trying to outrun a police officer) and it is likely that at least some of the charges will stick.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption