How to get simple battery charges dropped if my boyfriend agrees to drop them?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get simple battery charges dropped if my boyfriend agrees to drop them?

My boyfriend and I were having a dispute and he was verbally abusing me. I got very upset and hit him in the face and left. Afterwards he pressed charges on me and I was arrested for simple battery. Later on we worked things out and he wanted to drop them but once they are filed,the state picks it up and they decide whether or not they will be dropped. this has never happened before. Also, when I went for my arraignment, they told methat I couldn’t have a court appointed attorney. I cannot afford a private attorney, which would mean I have the right do I not?

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot afford an attorney concerning the criminal matter that you have written about, you need to ask the court for the appointment of a public defender or a private contract criminal defense attorney. Whether or not you qualify for such remains to be seen. The criminal defense attorney would then try to resolve your matter.

Just because your boyfriend may want to drop charges against you, the district attorney's office is under no obligation to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption