How to get shoplifting charge off record?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get shoplifting charge off record?

New Link Destination
day I got caught shoplifting $100 worth of merchandise. I got arrested and banned from the store. I have never been in trouble with the law before. Is there any way to get this wiped off my record?

Asked on May 17, 2017 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A shoplifting charge is a criminal offense so it would be advisable for you to have legal representation. An experienced attorney may be able to get the charge dismissed or otherwise reduced. Additionally, if you are a first-time offender, you may be able to ask for and receive something known as "diversion" ("deferred adjudication" or your state's equivalent". This is an alternative sentencing program wherein you plead guilty to the charge, receive a special probation, and upon successful completion have the charge withdrawn and the case is dismissed. That having been said, diversion is only allowed for a first offense therefore if you get into trouble again, it will not then be available to you. Therefore, if you retain an attorney who can get your case dismissed, you will be eligible for diversion in the future (should you ever need it).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption