How to get paid for services under a contract?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get paid for services under a contract?

I have a small business in TX and I provide lot cleaning and lawn service to a business; the company is out of state. They will not pay my invoices; they said that there has been a drought in TX and the lawn was dead but my company has mowed it for 3 months; they will not pay the invoices until the lawn service dispute is resolved (and we are still are not getting paid for the lot cleaning). I am under contract for the next 5 months. How do I get paid or what is my next step to get paid?

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Business Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have an agreement for lot cleaning and lawn service for a specific business and are not getting paid, you need to send it one final invoice setting forth the amount owed requesting payment by a certain date. If you are not paid by the stated date, then your recourse is to either turn over the accounts receivable to collections or bring your own lawsuit for monies owed.

Depending upon the amount owed, you could file in small claims court or in the superior court in the county of Texas where the work has been done but not paid for.

To assist you on your invoices for possible paymant, you should place on them that a 1.5 % monthly finance charge (18% per annum total) will be assessed upon all unpaid invoices not paid within twenty (20) days.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption