how to get out from maintenance fee on timeshare condo in state of WA

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how to get out from maintenance fee on timeshare condo in state of WA

I own a one week timeshare in Washington State, I live in California. I have not
used the condo since 1998 but continued to pay yearly maintenance fees. The
condo is paid for in full. My husband I quit paying the maintenance fee in 2012
due to the recession he had not worked in 3 years. My husband died suddenly
in 2013. I am on a fixed income and the condo has now forwarded my debt to a
collection agency. I have been trying to sell out the ‘week’ for many years How
to I get out from these continuing maintenance fee?

Asked on October 13, 2016 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can't get out from the maintenance fee, whether or not timeshare is paid off, unless someone voluntarily takes it from you (purchases it; accepts it as a gift, etc.--you don't have to make money on the transaction, but the person receiving it must accept it, since you can't make anyone, including the association, take it against their will). Only if someone else becomes the owner will you no longer have to pay the fee going forward, though that will not stop you from owing any amounts you have not yet paid up through someone else taking it over.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption