How to get my name on my dad’s mortgage title

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get my name on my dad’s mortgage title

Hi My dad is getting up in age 77 and not healthy. Should anything happen to
him, he wants to give me the house since I pay the mortgage and insurance for him
mom died 9 yrs ago-hes low income. We only have 14,000 left to pay. Bank said
we’d need to both apply to have my name put on. My credit isn’t great. What do
you suggest? Quit Claim? I don’t want the bank to take over the house upon his
untimely death. Please advise.

Asked on August 26, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can't get on to the mortgage without the bank's agreement or consent, so if your credit is not good enough to be added to the mortgage, they simply don't have to add you. The mortgage is a contract between your father and the bank; a contract cannot be modified, including by adding another person to it, unless all parties--including the bank--agree to the change. All you can is try to make sure that you are in a position to pay the balance of the mortgage off (either in cash or by refinancing, if you have improved your credit by then) when your father passes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption