How to get money from a revocable living trust?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get money from a revocable living trust?

My godmother died recently and had a revocable living trust. I believe she left me money. I have not received anything. Is it possible for her husband not to give it to me out of spite. We don’t have the best relationship and I believe he isn’t giving it to me. What steps should I take to find out and get what I’m entitled to without causing too much drama?

Asked on June 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for your situation.  Who is the trustee of the trust?  Is it your Godmother's husband?  Be assured that regardless of who the trustee is, under the law he or she must notify the beneficiaries of the trust.  If the trustee faile to notify the beneficiaries of the trust it is a breach of their fiduciary duty and that could cause them great problems.  Although a trustee has great power under the law he or she does not have the power to exclude your gift under the trust.  I guess he or she could manage to manipulate the assets to your detriment but then again, proof of only specifically excluding you could make one assume that there is a misuse of pwoer and a breach of duty.  I might consider speaking with an attorney and having he or she write a letter.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption