How to get an itemized asset itemized list?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get an itemized asset itemized list?

My family is trying to close an estate. However, other relatives have frozen it attempting to take the executor, another family member, to court for a formal accounting/inventory list of the estate’s personal assets, claiming that items were misplaced. Items that were in the Will did not match a memorandum written by the deceased and were distributed incorrectly. These items were auctioned while others in the family believe they were their possessions. The executor has now become estranged because of this and has referred us to the law office. I’m just trying to find a way to get a formal inventory for family to prevent further distress.

Asked on May 21, 2019 under Estate Planning, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The only way to get a formal inventory, if the executor will not voluntarily provide one, is what your other family members are doing: bringing a legal action in court to compel the executor to release the requested information and "account for" (this kind of action is commonly called one "for an accounting") his management of the estate and conduct.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption