How to finish my divorce

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to finish my divorce

I have been separated from my husband for over 4 years and have had a child with another man in the separated time. The divorce case is already in progress but in order to finish it the actual father of my child needs to sign court papers to prove that he is the father but will not cooperate. Since my husband and I live in 2 different states there is no other way to prove the actual dad is the father. How do I finish this?

Asked on February 20, 2018 under Family Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am unsure why you think that having him sign the affidavit of paternity is the only way to prove same.  You can bring a proceeding to prove he is the Father.  Yes, it will be costly and time consuming because you are going to have to likely do same in the other state becuase only they have jurisdiction over him. Seek legal help here.  He can not hold you hostage in this marriage.  It will just take a little extra time and work.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption