How to find help for my little brother who is a minor, and involved in drugs?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to find help for my little brother who is a minor, and involved in drugs?

I am unsure which area of law this would fall under.The minor I am talking about is my younger brother, he is 15. We both live here in West Virginia. I am 18 and live with my grandparents, but my brother lives with my parents. Here in Southern WV drug use is extremely bad, and I am worried about my brother I do not want him to fall down the wrong road, and neither do my parents. They cannot control him they’re both disabled and have a hard time doing anything. I’m considering

talking to a police officer in town. I know that he is smoking marijuana but I’ve heard from friends at school who hear other rumors about him trying hard stuff. I do not wanna see my brother become one of the junkies walking the streets of this town. If you can help at all turn me in how to deal with it that would be greatly appreciated I know a few of these people who supposedly give it to him, and that could lead to a few drug busts in my area.

Asked on January 23, 2018 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You are a wonderful kid yourself to be so pro-active in taking care that your brother takes the right path in life.  So if your parents can not really handle your brother becuase he is disabled, you should sit down with them, a lawyer and your grandparents and come up with a plan.  Maybe your parents have to give guardianship to you or your grandparents to make decisions on his behalf.  You should speak with a family court lawyer.  You should ask if in your state they have proceedings that allow a person to apply to court for some one to supervise a youth that is out of control (in New York they are called "PINS" petitions: Person In Need of Supervision.)  I would get a lawyer on your side to advocate before speaking to the police so that the lawyer can go with you.  You do not want to make your brother a target either.  Does he have any interests?  Sports? Arts?  Are there programs he can become really involved in? If he is kept busy he is less likely get in to trouble. And maybe palling around with you - his older brother - can start him on the right path.  Kids look up to their older siblings.  It may be as easy as finding something to do together.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption