How to find a law suit settled out of the courts.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to find a law suit settled out of the courts.

A family member was living at a nursing home and ended up having a leg partially
amputated due to gang green of the toe. Later the family member ended up passing
away. We as a family felt we had a case against the nursing home. We believe
the Executor of the will settled out of court for an unknown amount and did not
disperse the settlement with the other siblings. The questions is how do we find
evidence of the settlement?

Asked on October 6, 2017 under Malpractice Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Out of court settlements are not filed anywhere: because they are out-of-court, the court system is not involved. There is no central place where this would be recorded; only the parties would have it. You should be able to get from the executor if you are heirs: it affects your inheritance. If the executor does not voluntarily provide it, you could sue the executor for it: executors are bound by what is called a "fiduciary duty," or duty imposed by law to act in the interests of the heirs, not him/herself. If an executor did not distribute any settlement as per the will or as per the rules for intestate succession (if there was no will), you could file a lawsuit in chancery court (a part or division of county court) seeking an "accounting": that is, requiring the executor to account for his actions as executor. In the course of that lawsuit, you could use the processes of "discovery" (subpoenas; written document requests; written questions called "interrogatories") to get the information and a copy of any settlement from the executor and also from the nursing home. If it turns out that the executor acted improperly and kept money which should have been distributed for himself, the court can require him to pay it to the heirs out of his own pocket. Of course, if there is no such settlement, you will have gone to the time and cost of a lawsuit for nothing; and since you can only use disccovery in a lawsuit, you have to make the decision to sue before knowing if there is any  such settlement. And since chancery court cases are more procedurally complex than other cases in many ways, you *really* want to hire--which then means pay for--an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption