How to file an automotive mechanic’s lien?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to file an automotive mechanic’s lien?

I repaired a truck for a customer. After several attempts to collect the repair bill the owner offered the title to the truck as payment. That was OK with me except the owner has lost the title and now I am unable to get any response out of the owner after the last conversation. I know that there is a time limit to file a lien, just don’t know how to do it. In NC.

Asked on January 5, 2011 under Business Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I think that you should double check this information with either an attorney in your area or with the NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles.  From what I have read it appears that you can file a lien recording application called an MVR-6 along with a $15 fee with the NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles and that would be enough. Otherwise you can sue them in court for the money owed for the services rendered and once you have a judgement entered against them you can execute on that judgement like any other creditor: levy on bank accounts, have a sheriff attach personal items for sale, etc.   Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption