How to divorce spouse while he is in jail?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to divorce spouse while he is in jail?

Husband is in jail for a long time but won’t sign divorce papers? Anything I can do to get divorce without lawyers?

Asked on July 14, 2010 under Family Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

There are many self help websites regarding divorce and the like but on matters that will effect your life in such a strong way it may be best to have legal help, even if it is just on a consulting basis if you want to do all the paperwork yourself.  If your Husband will not sign the divorce papers then you have to sue him for divorce.  The divorce goes from "contested" to "uncontested status."  You need to have grounds listed and your Husband served.  Lucky for you that you know exactly where he is so that issue of "jurisdiction" is taken care of.  See of there are any climics for help with these matters in your area associated with State and local Bar Associations. Good luck.       

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption