How to divorce ifIlive abroad?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to divorce ifIlive abroad?

Wife does not want divorce with out money. We are living separate more then 3 years. We have no kids or assets. I am living now more then 2 years in another country and have no way go back to US but I need to divorce. How can I do it?

Asked on July 20, 2010 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Where is your legal residence?  What about your Wife's legal residence?  What do you mean when you say "wife does not want divorce with out money"?  Do you mean that she won't consent to  divorce unless you give her some money as a settlement?  It is too difficult to give you any advice here without knowing your circumstances: length of marriage, you say no assets but really were there?, etc.  Getting a divorce overseas is a very difficult thing to do.  The best thing for you to do is to make a deal with your wife and get an attorney to handle a no-fault divorce and you can sign papers waiving service and appearance.  Basically you will agree on the settlement issued that seem important to her and get on with your life.  You may not be able to file for divorce in the country that you are living in even if you wanted to.  This may be more of a "business-like" decision rather than anything else. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption