How to deal with nuisance neighbors?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to deal with nuisance neighbors?

I bought a half a twin home 2 years ago. My next door neighbors turned out to be a huge nuisance. They continually slam their front door and party almost every night. They like to cause trouble. My vehicle was vandalized 4 times since we moved in here. Their is no law enforcement here. The state police say to contact the local township then the local township says to call the police. I am unable to enjoy my property because of my neighbors from hell. What can I do? Moving is not an option at the moment.

Asked on October 19, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

There may not be any good solutions. If and when the neighbors violate some ordinance--e.g. make too much noise after a certain hour at night--you can call the police on them. You can install video cameras around your home, and particularly aimed at your car, to see if you can't capture footage of the vandals--then again, contact the police. If you can prove that the neighbors have vandalized your property, you could sue them. However, at the end of the day, as long the neighbors don't violate specific ordinances (such as noise level at certain times of day) and don't infringe physically on your property, there is little you can do about their propensity to throw parties, slam doors, etc. And the more you call the police on them, depending on their personalities, the more they may try to retaliate in ways that come just short of being actionable.

So you can try to enforce all codes, ordinances, etc. stringently, but that may escalate the situation and won't cure all the problems; or you can put up with matters; or you can move. If they own their half of the home (i.e. they are not your tenants), they have considerable freedom in how they live in it, just as you have considerable freedom in how you live you your half.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption