How to claim am inheritance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to claim am inheritance?

About 8 years ago, my father died. A few months after, my grandmother died. Then about 6 months after that, my aunt and the executor of her Will, contacted me asking for my social security information. She said that because my father had died and he was in her Will, that as his heir I would be receiving his portion of the Will. I did not hear from her again. About 5 years after this, I contacted her to see if anything was going on and she said,

Asked on October 2, 2018 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation.  I think you aunt is taking unfail advantage here.  Unless the estate was super complicated it should not be taking this long.  Probate is a public record.  That means you can go to the Probate court in the county in which your Grandmother resided and look up the file.  It should have all the statements as to assets and distribution.  Then take a copy to an attorney to review.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption