how to appeal a mediation agreement that was not fully understood

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how to appeal a mediation agreement that was not fully understood

I did not understand the consequences of the agreement I signed I
simply trusted my attorney because I thought she knew my needs.
I have been ordered to pay for a Tahoe that I cannot afford to pay
for. what am I to do?

Asked on July 30, 2019 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't appeal based on the reasons you describe. First, it is not grounds to appeal that you did not understand the agreement--the law presumes (that is, requires) you to read, understand, and agree to anything you sign. If you signed it, you are held to have understood it and held to it. Second, not being able to afford what you agreed to pay for it not grounds for an appeal. And finally, if your attorney did not explain matters properly to you, you may be able to sue her for malpractice--but that is not grounds to get out of the agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption