How to acquire abandoned real estate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to acquire abandoned real estate?

There is abandoned property/house which abuts my property. The house is falling

down and is an eyesore and fire/crime hazard. I would like to acquire this property in order to tear down the house and add the property to mine. Is there a way to do this?

Asked on October 6, 2018 under Real Estate Law, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The only options are:
1) Locate the owners (you may be able to do so through the county clerk's office, by looking up the deed) and buying it from them.
2) If it was foreclosed by a bank (e.g. for nonpayment of mortgage), find the bank and offer to buy it.
3) If the town or county seized it for unpaid taxes, buy it from them.
Those are the only options. Even if it is run down and "abandoned," it still belongs to someone, and you can't simply take another's property--you have to buy it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption