How to accomplish a simple divorce?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to accomplish a simple divorce?

My husband just returned back from deployment and we now want to seek a simple divorce, how would be go about doing so? We do not want to split any property or funds and we do not have any children together.

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Family Law, North Carolina


S.J.H., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Almost all States have a simple unconstested divorce packet which you can fill out and submit with the appropriate filing fees. I beleive North Carolina does have an uncontested divorce packet. They are usually uniform thoroughout the State for the most part but some indivdual counties may have some local rules that you must follow. I would suggest that you go to the North Carolina Unified Court system site and you can probably download the forms there. Yopu can also go to the court in your County which handles divorces and go to the Clerk's office. They should be able to give you the forms. They usually come with detailed instructions on how to fill them out. Some courts have a program where litigants can sit down with someone to help them fill out the forms but you would have to look into this in your locality.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption