How soon after the death will money be released from an estate?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How soon after the death will money be released from an estate?

My son is the executor of my grandma’s trust but he didn’t give the attorney our addresses. Is there any recourse?

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Estate Planning, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I am having troble trying to understand things here.  Are you saying that you think that your son is doing something in breach of his duties as trustee?  Is that what he is - trustee of a trust and not executor of an estate?  To answer your first question, some states require that an estate be probated with in a certain time frame. The more complicated the estate the longer, though it takes.  Also, if the money is in a trust the terms of the trust govern so it would be impossible to say when with out reading the trust document.  Now,  if you think that soething is not right send a letter to the trustee - your son - in care of the attorney by certified mail return receipt requested giving the information you think is lacking and asking the status of the matter.  If nothing is heard consult your own attorney.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption