How should we handle our minor son’s auto accident?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How should we handle our minor son’s auto accident?

Our 16-year-old son, who has a learner’s permit, took my car without permission and got into an accident which totaled my car. He was cited for driving without a license, speeding, and not staying in his lane. It is beginning to look like our auto insurance may not cover the damage to the vehicle or property where he damaged a fence. Do we have any recourse if the insurance company denies coverage? He took the keys from my purse in our dining room. Also, if we go to court for the citations which the trooper recommended, could they punish him further?

Asked on October 29, 2018 under Accident Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you allowed him to take the car--which means he did not steal it (see below)--you violated the terms of your policy and let an unlicensed driver drive; that violation means they do not have to cover the loss.
If he stole the car--which is what taking a car without the owner's permission is: theft--then the insurer might cover, but you'd have to press potentially serious charges against your son to show that he did steal it: you cannot claim he stole it without taking action against him. And if charges are pressed, he clearly could face punishment: fines (which in the end, you'd pay, as his parents), probation, possibly (not likely, but not impossible) jail time and also have a criminal record (though if it's a JV record, it would likely be sealed--in my state [NJ] it would be).
Basically, you may have to choose between insurance coverage and your son. This, however, is a just a statement of how these things often work; every case is different and is resolved on its own facts. You are strongly encouraged to consult in detail with a lawyer about the situation and your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption