How should my father proceed legally on the taxes on his house?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How should my father proceed legally on the taxes on his house?

My grandma died 5 years ago and left my father and my uncle both executors of the estate. Recently they settled the estate through a lawyer of my uncles choosing. My uncle agreed through contract drawn up by the lawyer to pay the taxes on the house going forward. He has not yet paid the taxes on the house and in result, the taxes were sold at the regular tax sale on June 15th. The lawyer is somewhat uncooperative and says he can’t reach my uncle. Also there is a relative here who wants to purchase the taxes and take possesion of the house out right by doing this. Is that possible?

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Iowa


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think it's time for your father to hire an attorney, for reliable advice on what to do next based on all of the facts.

It's very hard to say exactly what should be done, here, because the contract about paying the taxes is a bit puzzling to me.  However, if there's a duty to the estate, or the other beneficiaries, that isn't being kept, there should be a way to get a court order dealing with the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption