If my elderly mother is buying a house, how should deed read if upon her death the house is go to my sister?

UPDATED: May 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my elderly mother is buying a house, how should deed read if upon her death the house is go to my sister?

Should the house my mom is buying be put in her name with survivorship going to my sister?

Asked on May 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are doing some estate planning here which is great.  But you should really speak with some one in her area.  "rights of survivorship" comes when both names are listed on the deed and then when one party passes away the other is the owner "by operaion of law" meaning you need not do anything else to transfer the proeprty.  With spouses it is automatic (generally speaking).  With others who are not married it needs to be stated on the deed.  List both Mom and Sis and put those words.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption