How should I proceed in obtaining unpaid wages?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How should I proceed in obtaining unpaid wages?

I was and am currently working for a doctor. Next door is a cardiovascular imaging office. The owner there was looking for part time help billing insurances. I needed the extra money so I began working for him and shortened my hours with the doctor. After over a month of him not processing my employee paperwork and me getting the run around about a paycheck, I stopped working for him. 3 months and several requests for the wages owed to me later, he continues to give excuses. I finally told him yesterday that if he does not pay me the $1000 owed, I will take him to small claims court. He screamed at me and told me to leave his office. I don’t know what to do; I desperately need that money.

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You seem to know what to do--you sue the owner in small claims court. You  have a right to be paid for the work you did, at the agreed upon rate or wage. When you are not paid what you are owed, the way to recover the money is to sue. You'll need to have evidence (including your own testimony) to prove the hours worked and the amount you are owed. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption