How should I proceed if my rental has inadequate A/C?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How should I proceed if my rental has inadequate A/C?

We have put in about 8 different work orders for the A/C and in this FL heat of 108 degree days. It makes a big difference. Every time they send out their “personal AC guy”, he says it is “working as hard as it can” and “he has it pushing out as much ‘cool’ air as possible”. Never once did he say it was in OK or decent condition nor has he done anything but stare and replace wires. On average the home stays about 88 to 90 degrees with all fans running and black out curtains. Mind you the AC is set on 76.

Asked on July 21, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to personally talk with the landlord about the situation about inadequate air conditioning and see what he can do about it personally. If the landlord cannot remedy the excessive heat after reasonable attempts, advise him or her you will call another repair person to see what can be done, pay the bill and then deduct the cost from your next month's rent check.

Keep a copy of the letter for future reference if need be.

Have you seen the completed work order by the repair person? What does it say? Is their enough "coolant" in the system?

If you have a local landlord/tenant grievance board, you might want to contact it as well about the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption