How should I handle my traffic ticket?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How should I handle my traffic ticket?

I received a ticket for making a right turn at
a red light when prohibited by sign. This is
the first ticket I’ve ever been issued. Should
I just pay the 175 or go to court?

If I go to court, is there a chance of getting
the 175 fine lowered? Will I have to pay court
fees? Can I ask to go to traffic school?

Asked on August 24, 2019 under General Practice, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Go to court: in my experience (among other things, I handle traffic tickets in New Jersey) if you have an otherwise clean record (as you evidently do) and show up to court, there is a good chance that you will be given the chance to plead to a lesser offense: one with fewer or no points on your license, or a smaller fine.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption