How should i handle hearing for operating vehicle with suspended registration?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How should i handle hearing for operating vehicle with suspended registration?

I was pulled over for driving vehicle with suspended registration. Registration was suspended for about a year, i was unaware of this. as soon as i was pulled over for this i went to dmv and payed all fines to reinstate registration privileges.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You've done the most important thing, which was taking care of the original issues with Motor Vehicles.  Bring proof of that with you to the hearing.  You're also going to have to explain how it was that you didn't know about this, because it would have involved at least one notice, probably several, that you should have gotten in the mail.

You should talk to a local attorney about this, for reliable advice.  It may make sense to plead "guilty with an explanation," as some traffic courts will allow you to do this to save everyone's time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption