How should I fill out divorce paperwork regarding my income and expenses if I live with my boyfriend?

UPDATED: May 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How should I fill out divorce paperwork regarding my income and expenses if I live with my boyfriend?

My legal husband and I have been separated for 3 years. He lives in one state and I live in another. I have a boyfriend and live with him; he has a girlfriend. We are finally filing for divorce. I do not work and my boyfriend provides for me. What should I put on the divorce paperwork when it asks for income and bills. I have none since my boyfriend provides for me.

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the income and expense forms to be filed with the marital dissolution that you are writing about, there will be a provision for you to place the income of the "significant other" that you are now residing with. I would just complete the form as the instructions state.

Most county court houses have legal aid counselors to assist people filling out their maritial dissolution petitions. If so, I would look into such a program to assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption