How serious of a crime is it when2 college roommates have an argument and1 punches the other in the mouth once?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How serious of a crime is it when2 college roommates have an argument and1 punches the other in the mouth once?

There is no blood, and the roommate that was punched was not injured in anyway. If she decides to press charges? What type of punishment does the one that threw the punch deserve?

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have described is the crime of assault and battery. The seriousness of the crime depends upon the degree of injury the parties sustained from a physical standpoint.

Whether or not law enforcement decides to press charges based upon the conduct that you have described is up to the invidual officer taking the report to decide and for the district attorney's office to decide if they want to actually file charges. The ultimate result depends upon how hard one of the parties involved in the incident wishes to push the matter as to a criminal proceeding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption